The Canon EOS 90D Body is a great balance between still and movie specs for the enthusiast or beginner photographer/videographer that want a little more out of their equipment. Canon packed a new and improved 32.5 Megapixel APS-C image sensor and their DIGIC 8 image processor into the upgrade to the 80D resulting in 10 fps stills shooting with full autofocus tracking, 4K 25p videos with no crop and Dual Pixel AF enabled!
When working with the optical viewfinder, an apt 45-point all cross-type AF system affords fast performance in a range of lighting conditions for tracking moving subjects and working in low light, while the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system benefits live view shooting and movie recording by providing a smooth, natural focusing quality akin to the way a camcorder acquires focus. Touch-to-focus is availed by the large 3.0" 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD, which also sports a swiveling vari-angle design for working from high and low angles with ease.
In addition to the boosted frames per second claim of 10fps vs. 7fps the 90D positions itself as a well-balanced upgrade to the 80D with lots of attention to detail. Exposure and metering have been updated by a 220,000 dot RGB+IR metering sensor with 216-zone (18 x 12) full-aperture TTL metering for more accurate exposure and skintone.
Dual Pixel Autofocus now uses a larger area of the live view frame and now 143 area segments vs. the previous 35 segments of the 80D, and even supports Eye AF servo autofocus to automatically focus on the eyes of a person's face.
The camera's ISO range has also been extended with a calibrated maximum of 25600 (extended 51200) for stills and 12800 (extended 25600) for video proving a 4-stop improvement to the previous generation.
Canon has not forgotten about ergonomics providing both a slightly deeper grip, a new joystick for AF point selection and have also made the 90D slightly lighter and smaller than the 80D.
- New 32.5 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor for uncompromising image quality.
- Optical viewfinder with 45 point all cross-type autofocus system and new multi-controller AF joystick for fast, precise selection.
- 10 frames per second continuous shooting with full autofocus tracking.
- 4k 30p movies with Dual Pixel CMOS AF and no crop, plus high frame rate Full HD 120p for slow-motion.
- 3" vari-angle LCD touch screen for easy focus point selection and image review.
32.5MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image Processor
Featuring a 32.5MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 8 image processor, the 90D is capable of producing high-resolution imagery with notable clarity and minimal noise, as well as a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-25600 that can be further expanded to ISO 51200 to support working in low-light situations. The sensor and processor combination also avails fast performance throughout the camera system, including the ability to shoot continuously at up to 10 fps or record 4K 25p movies with no crop and Full HD 100p high frame rate for slow-motion video.
Improved autofocus performance
45-Point All Cross-Type AF
Benefitting stills shooting with the optical viewfinder, a wide-area 45-point autofocus system provides quick and precise focusing in difficult lighting conditions.
For working with telephoto lenses fitted with extenders, 27 of the points are capable of focusing down to f/8 and the centre dual cross-type offers increased precision at brighter aperture values. The cross-type design of the sensors affords greater accuracy in low-contrast and mixed lighting conditions, and the broad coverage of the 45 sensors is ideal for tracking and maintaining focus on moving subjects.
Making use of the 45-points is a series of five AF area selection modes, including single-point AF; single-point Spot AF; Zone AF, where you can select from one of nine AF zones; Large Zone AF, which offers a choice of three selectable zones; and 45-point AF auto selection, which allows the camera to select a single point automatically.
Live View Eye AF servo & EOS iTR AF Face detection
Eye AF* can be set during Servo AF and Movie Servo AF. After detecting, it can automatically focus on the eyes of a person's face. Since AF can track even in continuous shooting, it is possible to track the eyes with high precision and shot natural expressions even when shooting subjects continue moving.
The new 90D also features EOS iTR AF for face detection autofocus.
- *Does not function when set to Zone AF, Single-Point AF, or Single-Point Spot AF.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF even during 4K Video Recording
When recording video or shooting in live view, a Dual Pixel CMOS AF system is employed that offers smooth and fast focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus.
This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network of phase-detection gathering elements across most of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement.
- The Dual Pixel CMOS AF system in the 90D has a larger coverage area for even more versatility compared to the predecessor 80D with 100% vertical coverage and 88% of the frame horizontal covered in 143 AF area segments compared to the 35 segments previously.
For still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot.
When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority.
Rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system's ability to recognize subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
No-crop | 4K UHD 25/30P Movie Recording
Improved video performance
The 90D is capable of recording 4K UH 25/30p with no crop and Full HD 1080p video at 100/120 fps in the MP4 format thanks to the new DIGIC 8 processor. Your lenses will behave and look the same when shooting stills and video, so no re-framing is required when switching modes.
Video recording is further benefitted by the inclusion of Dual Pixel CMOS AF and the Movie Servo AF focusing functions, as well as the touchscreen design of the LCD monitor for intuitive control.
Additionally, both headphone and microphone jacks are incorporated in the body design for advanced control over audio recording.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi / Bluetooth
- The 90D now features a joystick for easy AF point selection
- 3.0" 1.04m-dot ClearView II touchscreen LCD features a vari-angle design to permit working from high and low angles and the touchscreen design facilitates intuitive control over menu navigation and touch-to-focus operation.
- Both photos and movies can be wirelessly shared to smartphones or tablets, using the Canon Camera Connect app, for instant online sharing via built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Remote shooting from a linked mobile device is also available, allowing you to wirelessly configure exposure settings or release the shutter.
Buy Canon EOS 90D Body with Canon Australia Warranty from digiDirect
All our Canon products come with Canon Australia Warranty.
Buy with confidence from a reputable seller. digiDirect does not sell grey-import or grey-market stock.
Canon Australia Warranty on the Canon EOS 90D Body is 2 year back to base. For more on our warranty policy please see digiDirect FAQ Warranty
- MPN - 90DB
- GTIN - 4549292138337
|Sensor photo detectors||Approx. 34.4 Megapixels|
|Effective Pixels||Approx. 32.5 Megapixels|
|Sensor Size||APS-C size|
|Image Processor||DIGIC 8|
|Colour Space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|Colour Filter Array||Primary Colour Filter|
|ISO (Sill Image)||ISO 25600
(expands to ISO 51200)
|ISO (Movie)||ISO 12800
(expands to ISO 25600)
Focus & Optics
|Focal Plane AF||
|Lens mount||Canon EF/EF-S|
|Focal Length Multiplier||1.6x|
|Maximum Shutter Speed||
|Manual Exposure Mode||Yes|
|Subject / scene modes||Yes|
|External Flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Movie||4K 30p/25p (Cropped or uncropped can be selected)|
|Slowmotion||Full HD 1080 120p/100p|
Screen / Viewfinder
|Articulated LCD||Fully articulated|
|Screen dots||approx. 1,040,000|
|Wireless notes||Wi-Fi / Bluetooth Low Energy Technology|
|Size||approx. 140.7 x 104.8 x 76.8mm|
- Canon EOS 90D Body
- Canon LP-E6N Lithium-Ion Battery
- Canon LC-E6 Charger
- Camera Strap
- Body Cap
- Nikon D500 DSLR Camera with AF 16-80mm Lens$3,149.00Earn 6,298 Qantas Points
- Nikon D500 DSLR Camera (Body Only)$2,388.00Earn 4,776 Qantas Points
- Canon EOS 80D DSLR Camera with 18-135mm NANO IS USM Lens$1,869.00Earn 3,738 Qantas Points
- Canon EOS 80D DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens$1,499.00Earn 2,998 Qantas Points
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV BodyDon't pay $4,399.00 $3,799.00Earn 7,598 Qantas Points
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Premium Kit with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS II USM LensDon't pay $6,099.00 $5,499.00Earn 10,998 Qantas Points
- Nikon D5600 DSLR Camera with AF- P 18-55 VR Lens - VBK500XA$1,199.00Earn 2,398 Qantas Points
- Pentax K-70 DSLR Camera with 18-135mm Lens (Black)$1,599.00Earn 3,198 Qantas Points