The Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G Lens is a classic wide normal prime lens an in ultra-compact form factor optimised for the modern content creator that shoots both stills and video. This versatile lens suits shooting everything from street to landscapes, portraiture, and documentary subjects, and it features an advanced optical design for well-corrected imagery with a high degree of sharpness and clarity.
The lens design includes an extra-low dispersion and aspherical elements to reduce a variety of aberrations, colour fringing, and distortion. The optics are complemented by a Nano AR II coating that also suppresses flare and ghosting for improved contrast. Balancing the optics is an XD Linear Motor system that uses two separate focusing motors to deliver especially quiet, precise, and quick autofocus performance. The lens also sports a dust- and moisture-sealed design and fluorine-coated front lens element to support shooting in inclement conditions.
Key Features of the Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G Lens
- Designed to achieve notably high resolution and sharpness through the correction of a wide variety of spherical and chromatic aberrations.
- Robust and intuitive-to-handle physical design to benefit both photography and cine applications.
- XA (extreme aspherical) elements are incorporated into the optical design and feature superior surface precision for effective control over astigmatism, field curvature, coma, distortion, and other spherical aberrations for a high degree of sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Extra-low dispersion element is featured in the lens design and helps to reduce chromatic aberrations and colour fringing for improved clarity and colour neutrality.
- Nano AR Coating II has been applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and colour rendering in strong lighting conditions. This updated coating is better suited for larger, curved elements and is especially adept at minimizing internal reflections.
- Two XD Linear Motors, along with an internal focusing design, provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance. This design also contributes to more natural, intuitive Linear Response manual focus control and an AF/MF switch is located on the lens barrel for tactile control over this setting.
- A focus hold button is featured on the lens barrel for intuitive tactile control and rapid access to select settings.
- The physical aperture ring can be de-clicked for smooth, silent aperture switching to benefit video applications.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions and rubberized control rings benefit handling in colder temperatures.
- Fluorine-coated front element resists dust, moisture, and fingerprints and is easy to clean.
- Rounded 7-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
High-Resolution Images with Beautiful Bokeh
High image quality is realised using aspherical glass elements to deliver sharp and detailed images. The aspherical elements deployed in the 40mm F2.5 minimises and removes many common aberrations. Additionally, an incredibly close focus distance allows for greater detail up close.
Superb Build Quality
The robust build is designed to withstand the demands of everyday use. With the exterior finish and lens hood made from tough aluminium for enhanced durability plus dust and weather resistance for greater reliability. Further, the aperture ring indices, focal length markings, and Sony logo on the hood, are all engraved, giving a finish with a sophisticated feel.
Despite the compact size of the 40mm F2.5 it still features a focus hold button, focus mode switch, aperture ring, and aperture click switch. The Linear Response Manual Focus ring contributes to the intuitive operability and design of the lens, offering greater control and an enhanced user experience. Weighing 173g, the Sony FE 40mm F2.5 shares the same physical dimensions and filter diameter as the Sony FE 24mm and 50mm F/2.5, allowing seamless lens changing for videographers.
Outstanding Autofocus Performance
Supported by two linear motors this lens is capable of delivering fast, precise autofocus with excellent AF tracking performance. When paired with an Alpha camera with Real-time Tracking, autofocus tracking is maintained regardless of instantaneous changes in subject speed or direction. The powerful autofocus capabilities deliver exceptional results for both stills capture and movie making.
Quiet and Low-vibration AF | ideal for movie shooting
Besides exceptionally fast and accurate autofocus, the two linear motors have a very low operating noise, making this lens ideal for both still and movie shooting, when near-silent operation is highly important. Additionally, the wide variety of capabilities and features such as deep-ribbed focus wheel with linear focus response, deep-ribbed iris wheel and light-weight make this collection of prime lenses comfortable for extended shooting use for either stills or movies.
Buy Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G Lens with Sony Australia Warranty from digiDirect
All our Sony lenses come with Sony Australia Warranty.
Buy with confidence from a reputable seller. digiDirect does not sell grey-import or grey-market stock.
For more on our warranty policy please see digiDirect FAQ Warranty
- MPN - SEL40F25G
- GTIN - 4548736130616
|Lens Mount||Sony E|
|Angle of View||57°|
|Minimum Focus Distance||11" / 28 cm|
|Optical Design||9 Elements in 9 Groups|
|Diaphragm Blades||7, Rounded|
|Filter Size||49 mm (Front)|
|Dimensions (ø x L)||2.7 x 1.8" / 68 x 45 mm|
|Weight||6.1 oz / 173 g|
- Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G Lens
- Sony ALC-F49S 49mm Front Lens Cap
- Sony ALC-R1EM Rear Lens Cap
- ALC-SH166 Lens Hood