Sony's latest flagship mirrorless camera, the Sony Alpha A1 Body Only does it all with an unprecedented combination of resolution, speed and video performance, empowering professionals with a new high-resolution 50.1-megapixel full-frame image sensor, high-speed shooting at up to 30 Frames per second, 8K 30p 10bit 4:2:0 recording, 4K 120fps 4:2:2 video and more.
A brand new 50.1-megapixel full-frame stacked Exmor RS™ image sensor with integral memory has been paired with an upgraded BIONZ XR imaging processing engine enabling up to 120 AF/AE calculations per second and up to 8K 30p 10-bit 4:2:0 video. The Alpha 1 is also capable of 4K 120p / 60p 10-bit 4:2:2 recording and includes S-Cinetone colour. The Alpha 1 is also packed with features that support field professionals with faster workflow, including 3.5 times faster wireless FTP transfer speed and more. High-precision stabilisation unit and gyro sensors, plus optimised image stabilisation algorithms, achieve up to a 5.5-step shutter speed advantage, maximising the quality of the high-resolution images derived from the camera’s 50.1-megapixel sensor. The Alpha 1 also features an Active Mode that offers outstanding stabilisation for handheld movie shooting.
For the first time in an Alpha camera, the Alpha 1 offers 8K 30p 10-bit 4:2:0 XAVC HS recording with 8.6K oversampling for extraordinary resolution. Combined with Sony’s acclaimed autofocus technology, gradation and colour reproduction performance, the Alpha 1 will help the user realise their creative vision with the finest detail. It’s 8K footage can also be used for flexible 4K editing during post-production. 4K 10-bit recording with 4:2:2 subsampling is also available up to 120 fps for 5x slow motion.
Made to match professional Sony cinema cameras, the Alpha A1 Alpha 1 features S-Cinetone, the same colour matrix producing the highly regarded FX9 and FX6 colour and skin tones. S-Log3 gamma curve makes it possible to achieve 15+ stops of dynamic range, while the S-Gamut3 and S-Gamut3.Cine colour gamut settings make it easy to match Alpha 1 footage with video shot on VENICE cinema camera, FX9 and other professional cinema cameras.
A unique heat-dissipating structure keeps the image sensor and image processing engine temperatures within their normal operating range, preventing overheating while maintaining compact body dimensions. This makes it possible to record 8K/30p video continuously for approximately 30 minutes.
The Sony Alpha A1 features dual media slots supporting UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC/SDHC cards as well as new CFexpress Type A cards for higher overall capacity and faster read/write speeds. As one would expect from a flagship camera, the body is made with a durable magnesium-alloy chassis and dust and moisture resistant.
Note: Product is shown in use for illustration only, additional equipment is not included.
Key Features of the Sony Alpha A1 Body Only
- New 50.1-megapixel (approx., effective) full-frame stacked Exmor RS™ CMOS image sensor in combination with an upgraded BIONZ XR™ imaging processing engine with eight times more processing power
- Blackout- free continuous shooting at up to 30 frames per second
- Fast sensor readout enables up to 120 AF/AE calculations per second, double the speed of the Alpha 9 II, even during 30fps continuous shooting
- Bright and large 0.64-type 9.44 million-dot (approx.) OLED Quad-XGA electronic viewfinder with the world’s first refresh rate of 240 fps
- Silent, vibration-free electronic shutter
- World’s first anti-flicker shooting with both mechanical and electronic shutter
- Electronic shutter flash sync up to 1/200 sec. for the first time in the Alpha™ series
- World’s fastest mechanical shutter flash sync up to 1/400 sec.
- 8K 30p 10-bit 4:2:0 XAVC HS video recording with 8.6K oversampling for extraordinary detail and resolution, in addition to 4K 120p 10-bit 4:2:2 movie shooting capabilities
- Wide dynamic range of 15 stops for stills and 15+ stops for video
- Improved Real-time Eye AF (autofocus) for humans and animals, and new Real-time Eye AF for birds, as well as Real-time Tracking that automatically maintains accurate focus
- 5-axis optical in-body image stabilization for a 5.5-step shutter speed advantage
- S-Cinetone colour matrix as seen in FX9 and FX6 to deliver expressive cinematic look
- Professional workflow support with the industry’s fastest built-in Wi-Fi, SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps, 1000BASE-T Ethernet and more
- Dual media slots support UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC/SDHC cards, as well as new CFexpress Type A cards for higher overall capacity and faster read/write speeds.
Full-frame stacked 50.1 MP Exmor RS™ CMOS sensor with integral memory
A stacked architecture in this back-illuminated 50.1 MP full-frame image sensor contributes to high resolution and speed. Separate pixel and circuit layers and advanced A/D conversion mean faster processing.
The new 50.1 MP Exmor RS CMOS sensor delivers high resolution and sensitivity with low noise, plus up to 15 stops of dynamic range. A new image-processing engine achieves even better colour accuracy than previous models.
All-new architecture and BIONZ XR image processing engine
The new BIONZ XR engine features advanced architecture that delivers 8x greater processing power. The result is outstanding image quality as well as improved camera interface response.
Wide ISO100 ~ 32000 sensitivity range
Despite the sensor’s high pixel count, a sensitive back-illuminated structure with gapless on-chip lenses and an AR-coated seal glass allows a standard ISO range of ISO100~32000, expandable to ISO50~102400.
199mp Pixel Shift Multi Shooting
Up to 16 images shot with precise in-body image stabilization control can be combined via computer software to create photos with up to 199 million pixels for extraordinary resolution, colour, and atmosphere.
50.1 megapixels at up to 30 frames/second
The α1 offers an extraordinary combination of high resolution and blazing speed. Ultra-fast readout from the 50.1 MP sensor allows continuous bursts at up to 30 fps with AF and AE tracking using the electronic shutter. Perfect for sports or any situation where the critical action is over in an instant.
- Silent, vibration-free shutter | A silent electronic shutter provides greater opportunities for shooting sports and other subjects where noise is not tolerated. Vibration-free operation contributes to high image quality.
- Anti-distortion Shutter | Fast sensor readout minimises still-image distortion when using the electronic shutter. The BIONZ XR engine and a large buffer achieve about 1.5x less distortion than the α9 II.
- Flicker-free electronic & mechanical shutters | Another world first: flicker-free electronic and mechanical shutters. You get flicker-free shooting under fluorescent/artificial lighting with all the benefits of the electronic shutter.
- Flash sync with electronic shutter | For the first time in an α camera, electronic shutter flash sync is possible thanks to high readout speed from the stacked CMOS sensor.
- Dual driven shutter drive for flash sync up to 1/400 sec. | Making it easier to capture dynamic action and opening the door to new creative possibilities.
5-axis optical in-body image stabilisation for a 5.5-step advantage
A precision stabilisation unit and gyro sensors plus the latest image stabilization algorithms deliver a 5.5 step shutter speed advantage, maximising the quality of high-resolution images.
Wide, fast, precise AF tracking with 759 selectable phase-detection points
The α1 features focal-plane phase-detection AF that is sensitive, fast, and precise. The 50.1 MP sensor and BIONZ XR engine provide 759 selectable phase-detection points covering about 92% of the image.
- Real-time Eye AF | Combining state-of-the-art AI technology and evolved Fast Hybrid AF algorithms, Real-time Eye AF in the α1 tracks and focuses on human eyes with approximately 30% greater precision than the α9 II.
- Real-time Tracking | Select a subject, half-press the shutter, and the camera will track and maintain focus automatically. Turn on AF face/eye priority for seamless AI-based tracking of human, animal, or bird eyes.
Real-time Eye AF for birds
High-level subject recognition technology now makes it possible for Sony’s Real-time Eye AF function to track and accurately focus on bird eyes, even if the bird suddenly takes flight or the framing changes. This innovative function easily meets the many challenges of bird photography
Improved Real-time Eye AF for animals
Primarily designed for cats and dogs, this feature employs advanced subject recognition technology to reliably track and focus on animal eyes. It even works if the animal’s face is upside-down.
Sony Alpha A1 Next-Generation Video Recording | 8K Video and Professional 4K Video
Making use of Sony A1's high-resolution sensor and fast processing capabilities, UHD 8K 30p XAVC HS video recording is possible with 8.6K oversampling for impressive sharpness and realism. This high-res recording also benefits 4K editing processes and low bit-rate proxy files with HD resolution can be simultaneously recorded with 8K footage for easier playback.
The a1 employs a pair of codecs to suit different workflows: XAVC HS, which uses HEVC/H.265 encoding to retain more detail at smaller bitrates and XAVC S-I, which is an intraframe codec for consistent performance and quality at bitrates up to 600 Mb/s.
No recording time limit allows for unlimited clip lengths and the Sony Alpha A1's physical design features an improved heat-dissipating structure to promote longer possible recording times; longer than 30 minutes for 8K 30p or 4K 60p videos, or recordings done at 10-bit 4:2:0.
- S35 4K mode with full sensor readout, no pixel binning, and 5.8K oversampling | In the Super 35 mode approximately 2.3x the amount of data required for QFHD 4K is acquired through full-frame readout with no pixel binning for beautiful imagery that is rich in detail.
- 10-bit 4:2:2 chroma subsampling | 10-bit depth, 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, a high-efficiency MPEG-H HEVC/H.265 codec, intra-frame coding, and more, support flexible editing and a variety of delivery formats.
- 10-bit 4:2:2 HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support | High-dynamic-range HLG movies support the wide-gamut BT.2020 colour space, and can be directly played on an HDR (HLG) compatible TV. 10-bit HLG recordings reproduce fine gradation and detail.
- 16-bit RAW output | 16-bit RAW output to a external recorder via HDMI is available while recording 4K to internal card media for improved post-production flexibility.
- “Active Mode” image stabilisation | A new Active Mode dedicated to movie shooting makes 5-axis optical image stabilisation highly effective for 4K30p handheld shooting
Heat-dissipating structure for extended recording
A newly developed heat-dissipating structure prevents the Sony Alpha A1 camera from overheating during continuous recording without increasing body size.
- Record 8K/30p or 4K/60p video continuously for up to 30 minutes
4K movies up to 120 fps frame rate
The α1 supports high frame rate internal 4K movie recording at up to 120 fps, for smooth, expressive slow-motion playback at up to 5x. 10-bit 4:2:2 chroma subsampling can be used with Long-GOP or Intra (All-I) compression for outstanding image quality, while the new image sensor and BIONZ XR engine minimize image distortion.
8K Video Recording at 30p 10bit 4:2:0
The new image sensor and BIONZ XR engine in the α1 deliver 8K 30p movie recording capability for extraordinary realism. Four times the resolution of 4K with full Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF functionality. 8K footage is also ideally suited to flexible 4K editing.
Real-time Eye AF and Real-time Tracking for movies
The BIONZ XR engine features significantly improved detection, accurately tracking human eyes at a wider range of head angles. Also available for 8K and 4K 120p recording.
S-Log for compatibility with pro cine cameras
S-Log2 and S-Log3 are included. S-Log3 provides smooth 10-bit gradations and a dynamic range of 15+ stops. S-Gamut, S-Gamut3, and S-Gamut3.Cine color spaces supported.
Cinematic S-Cinetone look
Sony Alpha A1 includes the same S-Cinetone colour matrix that produces beautiful colour and skin tones in the VENICE, FX6, and other Cinema Line cameras. S-Cinetone delivers natural mid-tones that are essential to healthy-looking skin colour, plus soft colours and gorgeous highlights, responding to a growing need for more expressive depth.
Multi Interface Shoe Digital audio interface for superior sound
A digital audio interface delivers outstanding audio quality with compatible audio devices connected via the Multi Interface Shoe. Pristine digital audio is delivered directly to the camera.
High-performance 9.44 million-dot Blackout-free OLED viewfinder
The 9.44 million-dot (approx.) OLED viewfinder in the α1 offers the highest resolution in the industry at this time. It features 0.90x magnification with a 41° FOV for a clear, wide view, and an updated structure that results in a 25mm high eyepoint.
Fast 240fps refresh rate with UXGA FOV minimises latency during continuous shooting for a clear blackout-free view of fast action.
Using electronic shutter at low shutter speeds can reduce display response, making it difficult to follow fast subjects. Turn [Low Frame Rate Limit] ON to improve display response and allow panning shots.
New menu structure
Another feature requested by professional photographers and videographers: a revised menu structure for easier navigation, and touch-responsive menu operation for more intuitive control.
- Separate settings for stills and movies | A subset of the settings now change according to the selected mode.
- 164 Customisable functions | Functions are assignable to 17 custom keys as well as the front and rear dials. Independent function sets can be assigned for stills, movies, and playback.
- Touch menu control | Responsive main and function menus with menu tabs on the left of the display and related parameter groups and parameters on the right make for easy navigation and tracking control.
High-reliability mechanical shutter
Shutter vibration is minimised while allowing continuous bursts at up to 10 fps. The new shutter unit with advanced motor, brake, and dampers is good for more than 500,000 cycles.
Durable magnesium alloy chassis
A light, rigid magnesium alloy enhances the durability of the top, front, and rear covers, as well as the internal frame. 6 lens mount attachment screws, add even more strength and rigidity.
Improved dust and moisture resistant design
Sealing is provided at all body seams and the battery cover. The media slots have a double sliding cover and lock that keep water out. A lens lock button and mount cushion help too.
Two CFexpress Type A compatible media slots
Dual media slots support UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC/SDHC cards as well as new CFexpress Type A cards for higher overall capacity and faster read/write speeds.
High-capacity Z-series Battery for extended recording
Shoot up to 530 stills per charge. Components and circuitry have also been designed to optimize power use. Get even more capacity with two Z batteries in the optional VG-C4EM grip.
Industry’s fastest built-in Wi-Fi supports 2x2 MIMO
Built-in wireless LAN allows communication on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, the latter with 2x2 MIMO support (IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac). Dual antennas ensure reliable communication.
SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps (USB 3.2) Type-C® connector
A USB Type-C® connector that supports fast USB 3.2 SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps data transfer makes fast PC Remote (tethered) data transfer available for smooth handling of large files.
1000BASE-T Ethernet for fast communication
A built-in connector for wired 1000BASE-T connection enables fast, stable data transfers at gigabit speeds. FTPS is supported, allowing SSL or TLS encryption for greater security.
Versatile FTP connectivity
FTP still and movie uploads, as well as remote camera control, can be accomplished via wireless LAN, fast wired LAN, or a USB-tethered smartphone. File types for transfer can be specified.
Versatile remote (tethered) shooting functions
The Imaging Edge Desktop “Remote” application can be used for PC Remote (tethered) shooting via a wireless LAN or wired USB connection. Remote control from a mobile device is also possible.
Lossless compressed RAW
The α1 includes efficient lossless compression in addition to compressed and uncompressed RAW.
New “Light” JPEG size
A new “Light” JPEG size setting results in smaller files than the “Standard” setting, allowing faster delivery for news and sports photographers who depend on speed.
10-bit HEIF for smoother gradations
HEIF format can deliver smooth 10-bit gradations for more realistic reproduction of skies and portrait subjects. Advanced compression reduces file size for improved workflow efficiency.
Buy Sony Alpha A1 Body Only with Sony Australia Warranty from digiDirect
All our Sony cameras come with Sony Australia Warranty.
Buy with confidence from a reputable seller. digiDirect does not sell grey-import or grey-market stock.
For more on our warranty policy please see digiDirect FAQ Warranty
- MPN - 4548736130715
- GTIN - ILCE1B
|Lens Mount||Sony E|
|Camera Format||Full-Frame (1x Crop Factor)|
|Sensor Resolution||Actual: 50.5 Megapixel
Effective: 50.1 Megapixel (8640 x 5760)
|Aspect Ratio||1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9|
|Sensor Size||35.9 x 24 mm|
|Image File Format||JPEG, Raw, HEIF|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor-Shift, 5-Axis|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 100 to 32000 (Extended: 50 to 102400)|
|Shutter Speed||Mechanical Shutter
1/8000 to 30 Second
1/32000 to 30 Second
1/8000 to 1/4 Second in Movie Mode
|Metering Method||Center-Weighted Average, Highlight Weighted, Multiple, Spot|
|Exposure Modes||Aperture Priority, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority|
|Exposure Compensation||-5 to +5 EV (1/3 EV Steps)|
|Metering Range||-3 to 20 EV|
|White Balance||Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature, Color Temperature Filter, Custom, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (Cool White), Fluorescent (Day White), Fluorescent (Daylight), Fluorescent (Warm White), Incandescent, Shade, Underwater|
|Continuous Shooting||Electronic Shutter
Up to 30 fps at 50.1 MP for up to 155 Frames (Raw) / 165 Frames (JPEG)
Up to 20 fps at 50.1 MP for up to 238 Frames (Raw) / 400 Frames (JPEG)
Up to 15 fps at 50.1 MP
Up to 5 fps at 50.1 MP
Up to 10 fps at 50.1 MP (Raw) / (JPEG)
Up to 8 fps at 50.1 MP
Up to 6 fps at 50.1 MP
Up to 3 fps at 50.1 MP
|Recording Modes||H.265/XAVC HS 4:2:2 10-Bit
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p/100p/119.88p [50 to 280 Mb/s]
H.265/XAVC HS 4:2:0 10-Bit
UHD 8K (7680 x 4320) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p [200 to 400 Mb/s]
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p/100p/119.88p [30 to 200 Mb/s]
H.264/XAVC S-I 4:2:2 10-Bit
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p [240 to 600 Mb/s]
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p [89 to 222 Mb/s]
H.264/XAVC S 4:2:2 10-Bit
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p/100p/119.88p [100 to 280 Mb/s]
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p/100p/119.88p/200p/239.76p [50 Mb/s]
H.264/XAVC S 4:2:0 8-Bit
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p/100p/119.88p [60 to 200 Mb/s]
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p/100p/119.88p/200p/239.76p [16 to 100 Mb/s]
|External Recording Modes||Raw 16-Bit
4.2K (4264 x 2408) up to 59.94p
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/50p/59.94p
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 50i/59.94i
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/50p/59.94p
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 50i/59.94i
|Audio Recording||Built-In Microphone (Stereo)
External Microphone Input (Stereo)
|Audio File Format||AAC LC, Linear PCM (Stereo)|
|Focus Type||Auto and Manual Focus|
|Focus Mode||Continuous-Servo AF (C), Direct Manual Focus (DMF), Manual Focus (M), Single-Servo AF (S)|
|Autofocus Points||Phase Detection: 759
Contrast Detection: 425
|Autofocus Sensitivity||-4 to +20 EV|
|Viewfinder Type||Electronic (OLED)|
|Viewfinder Resolution||9,437,184 Dot|
|Viewfinder Eye Point||25 mm|
|Viewfinder Magnification||Approx. 0.9x|
|Diopter Adjustment||-4 to +3|
|Display Type||Tilting Touchscreen LCD|
|Flash Modes||Auto, Fill Flash, Hi-Speed Sync, Off, Rear Sync, Red-Eye Reduction, Slow Sync|
|Maximum Sync Speed||1/400 Second|
|Flash Compensation||-3 to +3 EV (1/3, 1/2 EV Steps)|
|Dedicated Flash System||TTL|
|External Flash Connection||Hot Shoe|
|Media/Memory Card Slot||Dual Slot: CFexpress Type A / SD|
|Connectivity||HDMI A (Full Size), USB Type-C (USB 3.2 Gen 1), USB Micro-B (USB 2.0), 3.5mm Microphone, 3.5mm Headphone, RJ45|
|Operating Temperature||32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C|
|Battery||1 x NP-FZ100 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.2 VDC, 2280 mAh (Approx. 430 Shots)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||5.07 x 3.81 x 2.74" / 128.9 x 96.9 x 69.7 mm|
|Weight||1.6 lb / 737 g (Body Only)|
- Sony Alpha A1 Body Only
- Sony NP-FZ100 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery (2280mAh)
- Sony BC-QZ1 Battery Charger
- Sony ALC-B1EM Body Cap for E-Mount Cameras
- USB Type-C to Type-A Cable
- Cable Protector
- Shoulder Strap
- Accessory Shoe Cap
- Eyepiece Cup
- Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 16-50mm Lens (Black)$929.00Earn 1,858 Qantas Points
- Leica M-P (Typ 240) Camera Body - Silver ( 10772 )$8,899.00Earn 0 Qantas Points
- Sony Alpha a7 II Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)$1,749.00Earn 3,498 Qantas Points
- Panasonic G7 Body Only - BlackPanasonic Gift Card PromotionBefore Cashback $819.00 After Cashback $769.00$819.00Earn 1,638 Qantas Points
- Panasonic G7 Twin Kit with 14-42 and 45-150mm - Black BodyPanasonic Gift Card PromotionBefore Cashback $1,089.00 After Cashback $1,039.00$1,089.00Earn 2,178 Qantas Points
- Sony a7R II Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera Body$2,599.00Earn 5,198 Qantas Points
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85 Digital Camera (Body Only)Panasonic Gift Card PromotionBefore Cashback $1,049.00 After Cashback $999.00$1,049.00Earn 2,098 Qantas Points
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85 Digital Camera with 12-60mm LensPanasonic Gift Card PromotionBefore Cashback $1,288.00 After Cashback $1,088.00$1,288.00Earn 2,576 Qantas Points