Absolutely; The TRS enables you to claim a refund, subject to certain
conditions, of the goods and services tax (GST) and wine equalisation tax
(WET) that you pay on goods you buy in Australia.
*To claim a refund you must:*
- Spend $300 (GST inclusive) or more in the one store and get a single tax invoice.
- Buy goods no more than 60 days before departure.
- Wear or carry the goods on board the aircraft or ship and present them
along with your original tax invoice, passport and international boarding
pass to a Customs Officer at a TRS facility
- Claims at airports are available up to 30 minutes prior to the scheduled
departure of your flight.
- The refund only applies to goods you take with you as hand luggage or
wear (unless aviation security measures, effective from 31 March 2007, in
regard to liquids, aerosols and gels prevent you from doing so) onto the
aircraft or ship when you leave Australia. It does not apply to services or
goods consumed or partly consumed in Australia, such as wine, chocolate or
perfume. However, unlike other tourist shopping schemes, most of the goods,
such as clothing and cameras, can be used in Australia before departure.
The GST refund is calculated by dividing the total amount of the purchase by 11. Click here for more information.