Commemorating the 150th anniversary of Ernst Leitz taking over Leica and branding it with the Leitz name, the Leica M10 Monochrom “Leitz Wetzlar” Edition is a limited-edition version part of a limited production run of 650 units. The camera is the same as the standard M10 Monochrom with an added "Leitz Wetzlar" engraving on the top plate for a classic look.
This specialized digital rangefinder camera has been configured with a unique 40MP full-frame monochrome CMOS sensor used for the sole purpose of recording vivid and rich black and white still photographs. Versus a standard CMOS sensor, this specialized monochrome sensor sees the removal of the colour filter array to enable recording of just luminance values in order to achieve greater visual depth and clarity, along with improved sensitivity to ISO 100,000 and reduced noise levels to suit working in difficult lighting. The sensor's design also sees the omission of an optical low-pass filter, which helps to produce sharper, higher resolution imagery.
Sharing design traits with other M10-series cameras, the M10 Monochrom features a slim body profile reminiscent of M film cameras, and a larger 0.73x-magnification optical viewfinder allows for greater composition and focusing accuracy. The body design also incorporates a dedicated ISO dial for quick adjustment, even when the camera is turned off, and the rear 3.0" 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD features a Gorilla Glass cover to guard against scratching and light impacts. Also contributing to durability, the top and bottom plates are constructed from brass and the chassis is built from magnesium alloy to realize a robust physical construction for long-lasting use. Additionally, the M10 Monochrom also features an integrated Wi-Fi module for wireless sharing and remote camera control from a linked mobile device via the Leica FOTOS app.
Key Features of the Leica M10 Monochrom “Leitz Wetzlar” Edition
- 40MP Full-Frame B&W CMOS Sensor with no Colour Array or Low Pass Filter for the sharpest possible B&W imagery.
- Leica Maestro II Image Processor and an integrated 2GB buffer for recording 4.5 fps bursts of up to 10 consecutive frames.
- Optical 0.73x-Magnification Viewfinder
- Slim body profile reminiscent of Leica's film cameras for easy handling and manipulation
- The integrated ISO dial on the top plate permits simple and direct adjustment of sensitivity values, even when the camera is turned off.
- A Corning Gorilla Glass protected 3.0" 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD provides an intuitive, bright, and large means for image playback as well as live view shooting.
- Top and bottom plates machined from solid blocks of brass, chassis built from durable magnesium alloy and rubber seals to prevent the entrance of light rain and dust.
- The rear of the camera features a simplified and intuitive navigation of the camera's control-set via three buttons; live view, playback, and menu.
- A programmable Favorites menu allows you to define your most-used settings and select them for easy, one-touch access.
- Built-in Wi-Fi permits sharing imagery directly to a linked smartphone and remote control to adjust shooting parameters or release the shutter via Leica FOTOS app.
- A top hot shoe permit working with an external flash and the top sync speed is 1/180 sec.
- When working in live view, focus peaking is available to highlight edges of contrast for easier, more precise manual focus adjustment.
- Compatible with the optional Visoflex accessory electronic viewfinder for manually focusing adapted lenses.
Monochrom "Leitz Wetzlar"
The M10 Monochrom is the third-generation model of the innovative series of black & white-only digital rangefinder cameras. Based on the M10-P, the M10 Monochrom takes the coveted design elements of this camera system and adds a 40MP monochrome sensor for solely recording black and white photographs.
Beyond the distinct imaging characteristics and unique image quality, the M10 Monochrom "Leitz Wetzlar" also features a monochromatic exterior design, with white and gray engravings on the body, blacked-out shutter and lens release buttons, and a "Leitz Wetzlar" engraving on the top plate.
40MP Black & White CMOS Sensor and Maestro II Processor
A redeveloped full-frame, monochrome 40.89MP CMOS sensor paired with the Maestro II image processor delivering wide dynamic range with excellent tonal rendering, as well as enhanced sensitivity to suit working in a variety of lighting conditions.
The sensor's design omits an optical low-pass filter in order to achieve greater sharpness and resolution. Additionally, differentiating itself from typical sensor designs, the Monochrom sensor omits a colour filter array (CFA), which offers the ability to record monochromatic imagery using only luminance values for enhanced clarity, depth, and resolution. By removing the CFA, this camera also achieves a higher sensitivity range of ISO 160-100000 than colour-enabled M10 cameras, along with reduced noise to suit working in difficult lighting conditions.
Optical Viewfinder and Rangefinder
A large 0.73x-magnification optical rangefinder offers automatic parallax compensation and bright-line frame lines, which are set to match the image sensor size at a focusing distance of 2m. On the front of the camera, a viewfinder frame selector can be used to manually change the apparent image field to help visualize the scene with varying focal lengths; options are available in 35mm/135mm, 28mm/90mm, and 50mm/75mm focal length pairs.
The rangefinder mechanism displays split or superimposed bright field images within the centre of the viewfinder to benefit accurate manual focusing control. The effective rangefinder metering basis is 50.6mm (mechanical metering basis 69.31mm x viewfinder magnification of 0.73x).
Buy Leica M10 Monochrom “Leitz Wetzlar” Edition with Leica Australia Warranty from digiDirect
All our Leica products come with Leica Australia Warranty.
Buy with confidence from a reputable seller. digiDirect does not sell grey-import or grey-market stock.
For more on our warranty policy please see digiDirect FAQ Warranty
- MPN - 20061
- GTIN - 4022243200616
|Lens Mount||Leica M|
|Camera Format||Full-Frame (1x Crop Factor)|
|Pixels||Effective: 40.89 Megapixel|
|Maximum Resolution||7864 x 5200|
|Sensor Size||36 x 24 mm|
|Image File Format||DNG, JPEG|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 160 to 100000|
|Shutter Speed||Mechanical Shutter
1/4000 to 8 Seconds
1/4000 to 960 Seconds in Aperture Priority Mode
0 to 16 Minutes in Bulb Mode
|Metering Method||Center-Weighted Average|
|Exposure Modes||Aperture Priority, Manual|
|Metering Range||-2 to 19 EV|
|White Balance||Auto, Color Temperature, Manual|
|Continuous Shooting||Up to 4.5 fps at 40.8 MP for up to 10 Frames|
|Focus Type||Manual Focus Only|
Viewfinder and Monitor
|Viewfinder Magnification||Approx. 0.73x|
|Monitor Resolution||1,036,800 Dot|
|Monitor Type||Fixed Touchscreen LCD|
|Flash Modes||First-Curtain Sync, Second-Curtain Sync|
|Maximum Sync Speed||1/180 Second|
|Flash Compensation||-3 to +3 EV (1/3 EV Steps)|
|Dedicated Flash System||TTL|
|External Flash Connection||Hot Shoe|
|Memory Card Slot||Single Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC|
|Battery||1 x BP-SCL5 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.4 VDC, 1300 mAh|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||5.47 x 3.15 x 1.52" / 139 x 80 x 38.5 mm|
|Weight||1.45 lb / 660 g (Body with Battery)|
- Leica SUMMILUX-M 35mm f1.4 ASPH. black "Leitz Wetzlar" EditionPre Order$7,999.00
- OM-D E-M10 Mark II Black Body$588.00
- Fujifilm X-T2 Black Mirrorless Body$1,499.00
- Panasonic G7 Body Only - Black$649.00