Taking the stage as a modular and compact camera option in the Pentax lineup is the black KP DSLR with a unique smart function exchangeable grip that can be swapped as needed by the photographer. Beyond this, the KP was designed for outstanding low-light performance due to a newly developed 24.3MP APS-C CMOS sensor that eliminates its anti-aliasing filter and the PRIME IV Engine with an accelerator unit for processing. This enables it to reach sensitivities up to ISO 819200 with minimal noise as well as capture maximum sharpness at all times. A 5-axis in-body Shake Reduction II module further assists image quality by compensating for up to 5 stops of shutter speed during longer exposures as well as activating the Pixel Shift Resolution mode.
Still imaging benefits from the use of a SAFOX 11 27-point AF sensor, which will help photographers lock onto their subjects quickly and accurately. This is sure to come in handy when shooting at the max speed of 7 fps. Also, the camera is equipped with a mechanical shutter of 1/6000 second and an electronic shutter that is able to reach 1/24000 second. Along with stills, the KP is capable of recording Full HD 1080p video at up to 30 fps and it has interval shooting capable of creating a 4K movie. The weather-sealed magnesium alloy body also sports built-in Wi-Fi along with a tilting 3.0" 921k-dot LCD monitor and a 0.95x optical viewfinder with 100% coverage.
- Smart Function Exchangeable Grip
- Keep your camera as compact as possible or enhance the grip for working with large telephoto zooms with the exchangeable grip system of the KP DSLR. Three different grip sizes are available. The medium size is ideal for most standard lenses and situations while the small will shrink the camera down while using compact primes. The large grip provides a hefty, secure feeling that enhances control when using large, heavy lenses.
- 24.3MP APS-C CMOS Sensor & PRIME IV Engine with Accelerator Unit
- The KP delivers high-quality imagery through an advanced 24.3MP APS-C CMOS sensor that is designed to create detailed images with minimal noise at sensitivities up to ISO 819200. Guaranteeing maximum resolution, the sensor lacks an anti-aliasing, or optical low-pass, filter though this will cause a higher chance of aliasing and moire. For situations at risk of these artifacts, users can leverage an AA Filter Simulator function that slightly moves the sensor in order to mimic the effects of a physical filter.
This sensor combines with the power of the PRIME IV 14-bit image processing engine with accelerator unit to create large images with ease and speed. Improving upon the past generation, the PRIME IV can deliver photographs at up to 7 fps in raw format for up to 8 frames. This processor also helps control numerous advanced features, including Pixel Shift Resolution and more.
- 5-Axis In-Body Shake Reduction II
- A staple of Pentax DSLRs, the KP is equipped with a 5-axis Shake Reduction II system that can counter the effects of camera shake by up to 5 stops. This larger system is optimized for the full-frame sensor and can account for yaw, pitch, and roll as well as vertical and horizontal motion of the camera. Also, due to the stabilization being incorporated into the KP's body, it functions with every K-mount lens.
Pentax takes advantage of the sensor's available movement in order to develop additional features, such as the Pixel Shift Resolution setting. This mode shifts the sensor in order to capture full color data on each pixel by compositing four shots. This grants exceptional clarity, lowers noise, and boosts the effective resolution. Additionally, the KP has a motion correction setting that allows this function to be used even when shooting handheld.
Another capability is an Image Composition Assist function, which allows you to shift the sensor up/down and left/right as well as slightly rotate it. This lets users easily adjust their composition without needing to move their camera and can be useful for delicately balanced tripod work.
- SAFOX 11 AF System
- Making sure you can lock on to subjects quickly and accurately is the SAFOX 11 AF system. This phase-detection TTL autofocus method offers 27 points, with 25 cross-type points in the center for improved accuracy. It is also able to work in low-light conditions as dim as -3 EV and the camera offers a dedicated LED AF assist light.
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording & 4K Interval Movie
- In addition to standard stills capture, the KP is capable of Full HD video at up to 30p or 60i using H.264 compression. This enables photographers to add high-resolution motion capture to their arsenal without needing to carry another camera. Also, when shooting in HD 720p, users can shoot at up to 60p. Additionally, the camera is NTSC/PAL switchable and it is equipped with a microphone jack for high-quality audio support. Interval shooting is available with a movie mode to automatically create time-lapse videos at up to 4K resolution.
- Weather- and Dust-Resistant Body
- Durability has always been one of Pentax's strong suits, and the KP is no exception with a magnesium alloy body that is tough and lightweight. Also, the KP is sealed to ensure no rain or dust will take your camera out of commission. The camera is designed to handle freezing temperatures as well, with a rating down to 14°F. This durability is maintained when the optional battery grip is in use, as the grip is also sealed in numerous places.
- Other Camera Features
- Mechanical shutter with a max speed of 1/6000 second along with an electronic shutter mode capable of reaching 1/24000 second.
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity allows users to directly connect to the camera using a mobile device for image transfer and remote camera control.
- Aperture and shutter speed priority mode (TAv) allows you to manually select aperture and shutter speed while leaving ISO selection to the camera.
- Integrated GPS for recording location information directly into the photo's Exif data.
- Interval shooting is available in multiple modes for up to 2000 shots in intervals of 2 seconds to 24 hours.
- Built-in flash with guide number of 19.7' at ISO 100 with coverage for 28mm lens.
- Optical viewfinder with 0.95x magnification and 100% coverage.
- MPN - 16019
- GTIN - 027075298804
|Lens Mount||Pentax K|
|Effective Megapixels||24 Megapixel|
|Max Resolution||24.32 MP: 6016 x 4000|
|Sensor Size||CMOS, 23.5 x 15.6 mm|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor-Shift, 5-Way|
|Memory Card Type||SDXC
|Focus Mode||Automatic (A), Continuous-Servo AF (C), Single-servo AF (S)|
|Autofocus Points||Phase Detection: 27 (25 Cross-Type)|
|LCD Screen Size||3“|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 100-819200|
|Shutter Speeds||Type: Electronic & Mechanical
Speed: 1/24000 - 30 Seconds
|Metering Method||Center-Weighted Average Metering, Multi-Zone Metering, Spot Metering|
|Exposure Modes||Aperture Priority, Auto, Bulb, Manual, Program, Sensitivity Priority, Shutter Priority, Shutter/Aperture Priority, User|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||Up to 7 fps at 24 MP for up to 28 Frames in JPEG Format
Up to 7 fps at 24 MP for up to 8 Frames
Up to 3 fps at 24 MP for up to 70 Frames in JPEG Format
Up to 3 fps at 24 MP for up to 15 Frames
Up to .8 fps at 24 MP for up to 100 Frames in JPEG Format
Up to .8 fps at 24 MP for up to 100 Frames
|White Balance||Auto, CTE, Cloudy, Daylight, Fluorescent (Cool White), Fluorescent (Day White), Fluorescent (Daylight), Fluorescent (Warm White), Multi Auto WB, Shade, Tungsten|
|Dust Reduction System||Yes|
|Max Sync Speed||Mechanical Shutter:1 / 180 Second|
|Max Video Resolution||1920 x 1080i at 50, 60 fps (H.264)
1920 x 1080p at 24, 25, 30 fps (H.264)
1280 x 720p at 24, 25, 30, 50, 60 fps (H.264)
|Video Clip Length (mins)||1920 x 1080: 25 Minutes|
|Audio Recording||Built-In Mic: With Video (Stereo)|
|Connectivity||1/8“ Microphone, Micro-USB|
|Battery||D-LI190 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack|
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||13.2 x 10.2 x 7.6 cm|
-10 to 40C
Humidity: 0 - 85%
- Pentax K-P Digital SLR Camera Body - Black
- Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery D-Li109 for The KR Digital SLR Camera
- D-BC109 Battery Charger
- AC Cord for K7 Digital SLR Camera
- O-ST162 Camera Strap
- Eyecup FR for K7 Digital SLR Camera (replacement)
- Hotshoe Cover FK
- KII Body Mount Cap
- Triangular Ring x 2
- Protective Cover
- Battery Grip Terminal Cover
- S-SW167 Software (CD-ROM)